Library Instruction to Support Your Curriculum
DML's Education Services can create library research and information management classes tailored to meet specific course objectives or assignments. Whether you are a student working on a research paper or a faculty member working to integrate informatics skills into your course syllabus, we can help. Contact DML Reference for more information.
Education Services requires at least 10 working days notice to develop a class.
The BACC features a computer classroom with 20 workstations. Faculty may reserve the room by contacting Brandon Hudson. Please note that the room is open on a space available basis. Login with NetID and password is required to use the BACC classroom.
Dahlgren Memorial Library (DML) offers a variety of library orientations to the GUMC, MGUH, and GU communities. Types of orientations include:
- General overview of DML resources and services
- New student, faculty, and staff orientations
- General overview combined with hands-on workshop
- Course-integrated orientation and instruction and library tours
DML Orientation Facts
- May be held in the Library, the Biomedical Academic Computing Center (BACC), or outside of the Library in campus classrooms, conference spaces, auditoriums, and other public areas
- Vary in length, anywhere from 10 minutes to 2 hours
- Format of orientations can be presentations, demos, hands-on workshops, and/or staffing an information table at scheduled events
To Request an Orientation
Requests for orientations must be made 48 hours or more in advance.
*Please Note: The start of the new academic year (June – August) is a high-volume orientation time for the library, so we encourage people to schedule in advance as much as possible.
In addition to library orientations, DML also provides tailored individual and group instruction on how to:
- Access information (i.e. finding full-text journal articles)
- Search bibliographic databases (i.e. Ovid MEDLINE, PubMed, CINAHL, etc.)
- Manage citations for research papers using bibliographic software (i.e. RefWorks)
- Create effective PowerPoint presentations
- Use Google’s more advanced search features
- Google Tools and much much more...
To request a customized workshop or if you have further questions, please contact DML Reference.
Help with Assignments
DML's Education Services offers consultations for specific assignments, with the goal of helping you find the resources you need to complete your assignment. Contact DML Reference to schedule an individual consultation for yourself or a session for your group.
At the request of faculty, Dahlgren Memorial Library will place various materials on Reserve. Physical reserves (e.g.: books, journal articles, book chapters, exams) will be available at the Library's Information Services Desk. Electronic reserves can be added into course management systems such as Blackboard or Canvas and are available when copyright law and TEACH Act provisions are followed. In addition, stable, permanent links can be provided to DML subscribed journal and eBook content for incorporation within course materials.
Instructional Technology Help
Instructional Technology Design and Development (ITDD) supports GUMC faculty and staff who wish to enhance effective teaching methods with the latest learning technologies. Learn More.